About New Year Resolutions

Happy New Year!!!

I guess you've  heard or read that a million times this year already. But not from me. This post was meant to come up the moment it clocked 12a.m on the first of January but the power supply in this town is bad news and Maami only lets the generator on for 3 hours.
Can you believe it already? The date on my phone really says 02-01-2016! How time flies?!

So, made any new year resolutions yet? What do they revolve around? Personal improvements, social relationships, career goals or academic goals? 
For me, I realize that growth does not happen in milestones, it happens with each step you take. Although we take a leap once in a while that propels us forward than expected. So no New year resolutions for moi. I am growing, day by day. Though, I have a few goals up my sleeves this year, as you should.
But I'm curious...

Why does it have to be a new year before we can make certain positive changes in our own lives? Why do we acknowledge the weakness of not being able to take charge of our individual make-ups until it's the New year? Not that I don't  agree with the idea of making New year resolutions, in fact I think they're great, I just think we shouldn't limit growth and change To a new year start.



Most people who make New year resolutions won't stick for a month, or a week or more pathetically, for days. Without realising it, your new year resolutions could be a mere to-do list for the first week of January. So I've  put together a few ways to make your new year resolutions work, and how you you can stick to them.

Be realistic.

Usually when we make a resolution to stop this, become that, or look at things from there, it is without being realistic in our self judgements. It's okay to not want to hear the truth from someone else (because most of the time they just want to bring you down) but we must always be truthful within ourselves. You owe that to yourself. So be real. 

Know why you want to make changes.

The best reason is for you. Not because some person sees you in a certain light, that is their problem and not yours. Always do it for you. That way you can find a good reason to stick to your resolutions.

Be positive. And don't  criticize.

At the commence of 2015, It hit me that I'd been alive but I wasn't  Particularly living. It seemed to me like I was the same person upon each rising day and not only was that boring, it became depressing. But I was determined to change all that, and thanks to some books I was reading at the time, I knew I could do it. I was positive about living positively. 
So I toasted 2015 to becoming a better person upon each rising day, and to live in every moment. And so it was! I have learnt and grown  in the past 365 days more than I could have imagined. 
And it started with just a wish; To become a better person. But I figured it was because I knew what I wanted above everything else and the universe echoed my wants. I did it for me, because if I had done it for my friends or even family, I would still be in the same place I was two years ago. It is cool to make changes for your loved ones, but do it for yourself first. 

Surround yourself with people who are already in the place you want to be.

Want to shed some weight? Make friends with someone who just did. Don't  stay in the same clique of friends who complain about their weight but are never doing anything  about it. Or around people who'll  tell you you can't  do it. The importance of positive energy can not be overemphasized. What you surround  yourself  with eventually  rubs off on you. So get a resolution buddy and if you can't  find one, be enough inspiration  To yourself. Not just negative energy.

Track your Growth.

You have to focus on where you're  headed, but once in a while look back to see how far you've  come and if there's  something you're  still not doing right. Even when you get off track, get right back on the moment you realize it. Be mindful to not give room for regrets, as it will only depress you.

Remember that your fate lies in your own palms, not elsewhere. There's a you inside of you that is stronger than all your weaknesses, only if you'll let it surface.

That's  It on New Year Resolutions  guys! I hope you enjoyed reading. I am no professional on how to do things, but based on my personal experiences, and self practises, I have learnt what I just shared with you. And it's a pleasure to share. Sometimes I think I should be a motivational speaker. I am a self-motivated individual  but I understand  that not a lot of people can do that. I am passionate about being an inspiration to others just by being myself and voicing my thoughts; that is the aim. I think it is what drives my creativity. 
Please let me know if you have different views from mine, your opinions are welcome as I am a very open person, and I respect others' perspectives. 
Cheers to a merry, happy and prosperous New year!
Deuces and Kisses; 
MONAE. 

1 comments:

hmm, u got it. bt i think its best to outline few things as new yr resolution, there is great power in focusing on what you want..... The person who tries to do everything accomplishes nothing. Most people try to be all things to everyone. And so they end up being nothing to anyone. Confucius nailed the point: "Person who chases two rabbits catches neither."

Reply

Post a Comment